Monday, March 12, 2012

I Love Music

The kind of music I love most is choral music. I sang in choir starting at twelve but have sung for as long as I remember. When I began singing in choir I had just entered the seventh grade in junior high school. Our choir did a musical called Christmas on Elm Street.  I sang and acted one of the main characters.

Some people hear instruments first then voices. I hear voices first, then words, then instruments. Some words, like Come! Come! Ye Saints, stir my soul to tears. Other times I am stirred by the music (instruments, voices, and words) like when I hear The Last Words of David. I hear not just the soprano part, but also alto, tenor, and bass. It's probably because in my high school choir I had to sit and quietly listen as the conductor worked with other people and their parts. I am grateful that I learned to hear other parts because I appreciate each one. I am also grateful that I was required to memorize music because it's a skill that I have to this day.

Last night I listened to my favorite choir, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I wanted to be a part of that choir for years. Now that I can't sing I look forward to singing in the heavenly choir. I heard my favorite choir sing Ubi Caritas Et Amor and it touched me deeply - I thought how beautiful. Gaelic Blessing, My Song In The Night and Choose Something Like a Star reminded me of high school because our choirs sang them.

It's impossible for me to have a favorite song. I like all of my music and they are all my favorites for one reason or another.

No comments: