Wednesday, March 28, 2012

There's No Such Thing as Multi-Tasking at 100%

It's impossible to give 100% to multiple things at the same time. However, most women like to do multiple things. It's not unheard of for most women to: listen to the TV, cook, talk on the phone, and tend to a person's question - all at the same time!

Women who try to do multiple things think they are being productive. But are they? Or are they just keeping busy?

Women always want to have something to do. Relaxing, or doing nothing - to most of them - is the same as sleeping. If they see a person who, in their opinion, is doing nothing, they may think if you have nothing to do, I'll give you something.

Most men, want to do just one thing. If they are cooking - then they are cooking. If they are watching TV - then they are watching TV, and so on. They want to give 100% attention to whatever they do. Men who do just one thing frustrate most women. A frustrated woman may wonder why can't he cook AND watch TV? And he may wonder what good would it do if I don't give my all to the thing?

Women who try to do multiple things at the same time run around like chicken's with their heads cut off. If they worked on just one thing until it got completed they would put more effort into the thing...and get it done!

I thought I didn't like to cook. I cooked so we could eat. I thought that my husband loved to cook because he put TLC into it. Well, he gave 100% to his cooking and I gave 50%. If I gave my cooking 100% and put TLC into it, I know my family would love it.

I think women give 50% instead of 100% because what they do is expected. Families don't expect the dad's to do domestic things at home - that's the mom's or the woman's job. It's the woman's job because she pays attention to the details and makes things beautiful. Women see the details that men don't.

But, I repeat my first statement: It's impossible to give 100% to multiple things at the same time.

1 comment:

The Fat Man said...

My 13 yo and I recently attended a class on differences between boys and girls. According to the speaker, research has shown that there are some startling differences between the male and female brain. One of which is that the female brain is wired to be able to talk, listen, and think all at the same time. The male brain, not surprisingly, is wired to do only one at a time. And, yes, that causes lots of misunderstandings between men and women when they expect the other to function just like them.

I laughed when you mentioned how women look at people doing "nothing" and want to give them something to do. My wife is EXACTLY like that. She is a delegator at heart. It causes a bit of friction sometimes because her way of working is to involve everybody around her in her tasks, while I prefer to be left alone to do mine. Needless to say, she often tries to enroll me in her projects while I'm actually busy working on mine. I guess I just don't look busy "enough" :)