Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas, To Me

The topic of Christmas is a volatile one for me because I don't want to be forced to give a present. When I think about that situation, I think of two things. First, I don't give things to people only at Christmastime but throughout the year. Second, being forced to give makes me mad. I'd rather give something because it's what I choose. I give gifts from my heart that say "I care about you" not "I got you something because I felt compelled." I realize Christmas doesn't just mean presents, but gift-giving is a major part of the holiday.

For some reason I equate Christmas with presents. If someone doesn't like what I give them; their displeasure is on them for not being happy with what they got - not on me for not giving what they wanted. (The fact that I gave them a gift at all meant I cared about them.)

It's okay if the main thing some people like about Christmas is getting presents. The main thing I like about Christmas is spending time with people. I can focus on what I like and give gifts to people because I care about them.

No comments: