Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Does Anyone Send Christmas Cards Anymore?

As of today (December 19) we've received only five Christmas cards. Either 1) they aren't sending cards this year, 2) they've dropped us from their list, or 3) they are only sending cards electronically (but not to me.) We receive less cards every year. I enjoy reading the letters in some of the cards but now that most people use Facebook I already know their latest news. We live in an electronic world, but I still like to get cards, especially the ones that include letters and may or may not have pictures on the back. Maybe I like to get them because, to me, they say "I thought of you."

I know it takes a lot of effort to write the letters; put the pictures on the back; print them; sign the cards; stuff them; address them; lick them closed; and put a stamp on each one. (Believe me, I know! I sent my cards after realizing the time consuming process.) But giving is one of the gestures of the season. I can hear responses like, "I'm too busy - when will I find the time?" echoing in my head. I used to think of sending cards as no big deal, but it IS a big deal! It's a big deal because it takes time; and it's a big deal because each person receiving it is honored knowing they were considered.

It takes a lot of time and effort to get cards in the mail. To me, giving cards are like giving gifts - they say the same things, "I thought of you and wanted to give you this." True, the gift is in the giving, but even the person who thinks Christmas cards are no big deal will love it when they receive one.

Perhaps sending cards is a thing of the past. I hope not. Christmastime includes giving; and those who receive cards love knowing they were thought about. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree, I too have only recieved 3 as of now and it's the 20th. I still send mine out just like every year, I love doing them and I used to love getting them. I think more people would rather socialize on FB than send cards but not everyone is on FB 24/7 and I still will send cards next year but I may rethink who all I send them to.