Thursday, February 14, 2013

Inspiring Words

I love to hear or read something inspiring. To me, something is true no matter who said it. I love some quotes by Mother Theresa, but I'm not a Catholic. The Dalai Lama says some great things, but do I need to be a Buddhist to appreciate them? The leaders of my church say some great things too, and I love their words. Here are some wise words that I love:

~If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -Mother Theresa
~When you know better, do better. -Maya Angelou
~It's always better to look up. -Thomas S. Monson
~First you're young, then you're middle-aged, then you're wonderful -Alice Roosevelt Longworth
~Without meaning, we drift. Without goodness, we distrust. Without love, we grow cold. Lloyd Newell
~When you get, give. When you learn, teach. -Maya Angelou
~Our prime purpose in life is to help others. If you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. -Dalai Lama
~We do what we do every day, that's why excellence comes naturally. -Unknown (A sign at Per's doctor's office.)
~Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. -Psalms 110:105

Sometimes people  say great concepts that encourage and inspire me. When I apply their words to my life, it gives me a feeling of resolve. When I think about their words, it's like having a cheering section that chants "You can do it!" I appreciate people taking the time to say things that benefit my life. Here are some great concepts:

~Dieter F. Uchtdorf said that we can rise above our trials. (He's a commercial pilot by profession, so some of his stories relate to flight.) He gave an excellent talk on prayer and the blue horizon. He compared the clouds to our problems and that when we look up - perhaps the problems are all we see, but to remember there's blue sky and sunshine above the clouds.

~Jim Rohn said that our words help people see possibilities. (He was a business philosopher and motivational speaker who inspired many people.) He mentioned how when we speak, our words shed light on something people can't see. They might say, "It dawned on me". He said that what we say can help others.

Inspiring things are all around me. Books, songs, friends, plaques, and helpful phrases in my mind, encourage and inspire me. It's up to me to see the good in things. The good lifts, it reminds me to hope, and it gives me the courage to face my trials.

No comments: