Monday, December 02, 2013

Why Did I Say That?

I'll admit it - I said an unsavory word; I got influenced. (I didn't swear but in my mind I might as well have, because to me the real and the fake words are one and the same.) I ask myself, "Why walk on the line and sometimes accidentally cross into the swearing world?" Then I say to myself that I choose to walk in the middle of the lane (safely away from the line) and say other words that aren't even close to sounding like swear words.

I said that word because I couldn't think of another word to say instead. Just yesterday I used that word in my question when The Chiefs threw an interception in their end zone (they could have scored but the other team got the ball! Aaaaah!)

I don't feel like saying that word right now, so I'll think of other words to say instead; "Super", "Stupid", and "Really" come to mind. A song I repeatedly heard over 30 years ago runs through my mind:

The Words You Speak
The words you speak, the words you say,
The words you utter give you away.
Like "Please", "Thank you", and "Yes, you may", 
I can tell what you are by your words.

If you speak only what is true, 
I know that I can depend on you. 
For you are honest in all you do, 
I can tell this because of your words.  

I can tell where you've been, what you've read, 
How you think, by your words did you know? 
And what's more I can tell by the words that you speak
Where you're going to go. It's the truth, it's really so.

So little friend you must beware, 
And choose your words with the greatest care.
You'll be a champion if you dare
To speak only the very best words;
Only the very VERY BEST words.

High five-the author for writing that! I believe that words are powerful. I don't want to be misunderstood or considered something I'm not, so I'll choose my words carefully.

No comments: