Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The New and the Old

After 20 years we changed dentists. I thought about going on Angie's List to see what dentists people recommended, then I remembered how before Angie's List existed I used the Better Business Bureau to determine a company as good or bad. (I thought of a company as bad if they had unresolved complaints or a score less than A. I thought of a company as good if they had no complaints or an A. I thought of a company as really good if they had no complaints AND an A.)

Angie's List allows everyday people to comment about services. That can be good and bad. It's good because we get to see people's opinions, but bad because if they have a derogatory opinion, the company can be smeared without any form of protection. Also, haters exist who say mean things just because they can.

The Better Business Bureau may not tell people's comments but it protects companies from harm. People on Angie's List may have the ability to say whatever they want, but it's only good as long they have a positive comment. Some people say bad things, and sadly nothing stops them from being as mean as they want.

I think people don't consider how their derogatory comments may hurt the company for a loooooooong time. Perhaps the hurt person feels so angry at the company that they don't care if they hurt them.  (I can guarantee that the hurt person doesn't consider how their mean words might affect the company's future. Saying something mean is like sticking a red hot poker in the company's belly to make them pay for what they did. How vengeful! How spiteful! Does the hurt person really want to contribute to the reason for possibly ruining the company's success? Where's their mercy?) I believe in the statement more and more that "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

No wonder companies need lawyers, because some people are mean. At least the company accredited with the BBB has the Attorney General on their side. The Attorney General doesn't investigate complaints on Angie's List but he/she does investigate complaints filed with the BBB. I say that a company needs to protect themselves by getting accredited with the Better Business Bureau.

Back to my search for a dentist. My post makes me appreciate people wanting to save me from trouble; however, I don't want to read derogatory comments. I think I'll stick with the BBB's accreditation score and realize that if a company has a score less than A,  someone doesn't like them.

Some of the things society has done for a long time seem to be unraveling as we advance. People may intend for new things to be helpful, but some people are not nice and the things they say are hurtful.

I think we'll see the return of established companies like the BBB when people realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

No comments: