Sunday, September 16, 2012

We Do Important Things

I went to a women's conference yesterday. While the keynote speaker (The President of the Mormon KC Temple-President Hardy) spoke, I realized that most women thought poorly of themselves. President Hardy said that Heavenly Father loved us and he reminded us of our importance. His talk reminded me of the talk I heard President Uchtdorf give about the forget-me-not flower and how essentially he had said the same thing.

Women are nice. They are about feelings and friendship. They like people. Men can be nice but they aren't nurturing. They are brave and knights in shining armor. They are providers and tough. Men are supposed to protect women not dominate over them! Men and women each have individual qualities that make them great. They compliment each other but one isn't better than the other!

I think male domination is why feminism came about. Women didn't like being dominated by men and so not only did they want to be better than men but they wanted men to not exist. When they looked back at history, they didn't want to see how men had evolved but how men hadn't existed at all! 

I don't agree with the feminist thought that men are good-for-nothings! I believe that men and women have different roles; that one isn't better than the other; and that they need each other to truly be happy.

Some women in my church treat themselves like second-class citizens. I realized this one time when I sat in Relief Society and listened to a sister's words. She said her calling required her to tell people what to do. She thought a man needed to have that calling because she felt uncomfortable directing men. Some people in my church call men "the priesthood" instead of calling them men. True, men hold the priesthood but that power blesses both men and women. Men are no better than women because they have the priesthood any more than women are better than men because they can have babies.

Perhaps women would have good self-esteem if they valued what they do. Too many women shrug off the things they do because they come easy to them. They think of the things they do as no big deal because they do them without effort. I believe that just because a person can do something naturally doesn't mean it's not important. Everyone can't do what they can! Take a photographer, for example. Taking pictures seems easy to them. But, not everyone knows how to capture the right scenery in a photo. Not everyone knows how to frame things or how to take pictures just right. Look at me, I'm not a photographer. I don't know how a camera works or even how to hold a camera correctly. I don't know about lighting and the details that make picture taking an art. Basically, I take pictures to document history. But I have other talents that I do know details about.

Women are important. Who women are and what they do IS as important as who men are and what they do.

No comments: