Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My Thoughts about 9/11

That horrible experience happened 11 years ago, but I remember it like it happened yesterday. The things I will never forget (besides what happened) are the humanity of the media, the patriotism of Americans, and the outpouring of support from around the world. The pictures I saw for weeks after that event, and every year afterward will always be etched in my memory. I looked in my journal to see if I had written anything about the event and here's what I wrote:

On September 11, 2001, terrorists hijacked four airplanes. Two planes crashed into the World Trade Towers, one plane rammed into the Pentagon, and another plane (believed to target the White House or Air Force One) crashed in a field in Pennsylvania.

Shortly after 8am Tuesday morning, Per went to work in Nebraska and the boys were in school. I played my piano when Colette called me and said: "Have you been watching the news?" "Of course not," I replied. "You'd better turn it on," she said. I turned on my TV to Fox News and saw Tower 1 on fire. She told me what had happened and I couldn't believe it when she said that a plane had flown into it.

I told her that I wanted to call Per and see if he'd heard the news. We hung up and I called Per's cell phone. He hadn't heard the news since he had been listening to a book on tape. (Just the night before, he had told me and the boys that in the book, terrorists bombed the World Trade Towers - now it had really happened!) Per turned on the radio and got out the little TV in his car.

The second unthinkable thing happened while we talked - a second plane flew into the other tower!! I saw it happen live on my TV!! Both of the towers' upper floors were in flames. The news showed people screaming and running down the street! They said it might be terrorists! Then they said the Pentagon had been hit! They reported that they were under the impression the planes had been hijacked! There were people on those airplanes! Per and I both held our phones in disbelief!

The first tower started to lean and then imploded on itself! The news showed a huge cloud of smoke, debris rolling through the streets and people running everywhere! I hung up with Per and called my sister in California even though her time said six a.m. because I wanted her to know what was going on.

I told her then hung up and called Mom. We both watched our TV's in horror as the second tower imploded. My surroundings felt surreal. Then it occurred to me that my best friend from high school and her family lived in NYC! I knew they lived on the other side of the island but I hoped for their safety! I hung up with Mom so I could call my friends' parents. Relief - the phone was busy - they must be talking to each other I thought. I called again a few minutes later and her brother answered. He said: "You must be worried about your friend." "YES!" I said. He told me of their safety.

Then it hit me - all the emotion I felt from the morning made me sit there and bawl. I cried for all the people in those buildings and knowing that their families wouldn't see their loved ones again; I cried from worrying about my friend and how devastated I would have felt had something happened to her; and I cried in sorrow that people had so much hate that they did such awful things.

Colette came over with lunch and we watched history being made - for the worse! We didn't talk muck but just watched TV and waited to see if more tragedy would follow. It was good to be with someone that day.

The nation went into a high state of alert. All airports closed and all flights immediately landed at the closest airports until further notice.

President Bush spoke to the American people shortly after the events and again that evening. He basically said they would hunt down the people who did this and justice would be served. He said: "These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve."

The enemy declared war on us that day - then they ran and hid. Osama Bin Laden was named the primary suspect. (He is the leader of the Taliban regime in Afghanistan and apparently is a known terrorist of many other horrible acts - including the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.)

Tomorrow marks one week since the attack, and it's been the longest week of my life. Bryan had watched CNN in high school on the morning of the attack but Andrew hadn't heard anything about it that day in elementary school.

We hung our American flag and attended a memorial service at our church. President Bushed declared Friday, September 14th the "National Day of Remembrance."

It's been a somber week. The NASDAQ and Dow have been closed until today and that hasn't happened since WWII. War is in the air. Who knows what will happen when the U.S. retaliates. The government is gearing up for a long and extensive war on terror. 50,000 troops have been called up to active duty. The FBI is searching for other terrorists still in the U.S.

All pro sports games are still suspended. No Monday night football will happen tonight. (I think people are a bit scared to gather in large groups for fear of another attack.)

Some gas stations raised their gas prices to $5 or $6 last Tuesday and are paying stiff penalties now for gouging the public.

The one thing that has been great to see is the brotherhood. Some people are volunteering and/or donating blood. Some people (and companies) are donating money and supplies. The media has been an outlet for people to talk about their missing loved ones. It's been great to see humanity come together to help and support each other. I wish we could keep the love going and that we could be this way every day.

God Bless America.






No comments: