Thursday, February 06, 2014

Believing the Truth Not Lies

I just read a great article! The most important thing I read is that people are loved no matter what they do or look like. 
  • The article talks about how the world tells us to believe in lies about ourselves (like that we need to be a certain size, have a certain status, wear certain clothes, and the list goes on and on, in order to be "worthy" of acceptance and love), but that we need to believe the truth instead.
Lies
  • The world tells us things to make us feel bad so that we'll buy their product or idea and feel good, it tells us things just to make us get what they're selling; it's all marketing. But the good feeling doesn't last, like an addict we want more and more.
  • I bought the lies for years. Lies that made me hate and doubt myself. 
  • One of the lies I believed had to do with perfection. I couldn't look into the mirror and say, "I love you" because I had flaws. I believed the lie that I had to be perfect instead of the truth that I needed to do my best. (Lie: Only 100% completion is okay. Truth: If my best is 10% not 100% then 10% completion is okay.)
Truths
  • We need to only seek one person's love and acceptance. 
  • I want to know the truth instead of lies. 
  • I try hard. I do my best. I give my all. And if my best is less than perfect then it's okay.
  • It's taken me a long time to be kind to myself, to be gentle with me, and to love myself because for a long time I thought I wasn't worthy and didn't deserve it. (Who put that idea in my mind? Who wants me to hate and who wants me to love? Why do they want it?) 
I resonate with everything in the article and think it's worth reading. To read the article click here.

No comments: