Monday, February 23, 2009

Roots

I moved 35 times by the time I was 18 so I don't have what you would call childhood "roots". I usually started and finished a school year in two different schools and didn't have the same friends for very long. I'm okay with it now (even though I would cry as a child).

I have lived in Olathe for 15 years so I have roots as an adult, but the thought of childhood "roots" has recently come to mind as I see the discussions on FaceBook. Within the last six months, people I went to high school with are now on FaceBook and they are all sending each other (and me) friend requests. Now, some are posting pictures of school days and identifying each other and saying things like "who was our 1st grade teacher?"

I think all this is great, it's just that I can't contribute because my roots with them are from high school. I didn't go to elementary or junior high school, or church with them when I was a kid. We didn't grow up together. I'm not sad, I am just quiet. In the background, watching everyone's conversations back and forth. Kind of like when I was in high school...in the background...no roots.

This also reminds me of another friend who has recently posted some pics from university days. She has all these memories and experiences, and I can't relate because I never went to a university. It makes me think how fortunate my son is to be at a university making those memories and having experiences. Because I bet he will talk about it when he's 40 like me.

It makes me think of how important it is to have roots in life.

1 comment:

Kay said...

I get your childhood so much Jade, because like you, my family moved around so much that establishing any friendships were hard as a kid. Plus, I hardly spent enough time at any school to have one of those really bad school pictures taken. Drat! I especially remember 3rd grade and 3 different schools, and once calling a current teacher by the last school teachers name. So confusing. 7th & 8th grades each involved 3 different schools and no school picture...alas. However, on the upside, and of course, there is always THAT side in my world, I met so many people that I didn't necessarily become friends with but, they were darn good acquaintances....which was one reason I put my maiden name on Facebook, so people from lots of different schools may find me. So far, that hasn't worked. All those moves made me an extremely adaptable person, I easily (kinda) can get rid of junk at a moments notice and I get very nostalgic when passing through several parts of the country. So, lots of advantages compared to people that lived in the same place all their lives and attended the same schools. Please! How boring would that be! Great blog Jade, brought back memories for me and a warm feeling that others went through the same thing. Makes us special, eh?