Monday, February 23, 2015

WOMANHOOD not feminism, MANHOOD not chauvinism

On my ride yesterday it occurred to me that the way I think of feminism is the feminism of the 70’s (ERA, radical bra burning women who basically said women don’t need men because women can do everything like men.) But the way young girls think of feminism is that of womanhood. (That women have brains and that women are feminine, but not that they don’t need men.) In the sense of womanhood I’m for women, but in the sense of 70’s feminism I’m not for feminists.

I love being a woman. I have a brain and appreciate expressing myself. I also love men. I love that my husband and sons care for me. I love that I can explore my world. I give the same freedom to all.

Most women want to be women and I ask all women, “Do you want to be associated with womanhood or feminism?” 

To me, the word ‘feminism’ and ‘feminist’ sends chills up my back. I will never call myself a feminist because I don’t believe in the extreme things for which it stands. On the other hand, I will always call myself a woman. Where I grew up ‘Womanhood’ got associated with ‘Suzy homemaker who gets up every day at 6 am and bakes fresh bread for her family.’ I wouldn't mind associating womanhood with a different definition.

No comments: