Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Don't Get into Debt

The depression happened 80 years ago and I remember my grandma saying "make due with what you have." Nowadays, people get into trouble because either they buy things they can't afford, or they want new things NOW instead of saving to buy with real money, or both. Credit card companies play to people's emotions by saying "you deserve it NOW". There is no talk of "saving for a rainy day" like they used to say in the depression. These days 'saving' seems like a dirty word.

Buying things with credit and "living beyond your means" is the plight of the modern world. I want to live in reality and make my life simpler by not getting into debt. I believe in saving when I decide to get something. I also believe in buying things with money. (Buying things on credit allows me to think I have more money than I do). Buying bigger homes or newer cars causes stress if I can't afford it. I wonder if some people buy things because they need them or if they're just wanting to keep up appearances. When I buy things on credit it's like I'm chained to my creditor. Also, when I owe money I have given my freedom away. Aargh, Credit!

My husband and I used to have too much debt. We got deeper in the hole every month. Paying the bills stressed and upset me. I didn't like talking about money and how much we didn't have. My husband said we had to be responsible and pay our bills. (Part of me felt mad because his statement meant that I couldn't buy more things...but I knew he was right.) I was once a product of society that bought things with credit, and it caused me to think we had more money than we did. I enjoyed buying things but I didn't enjoy paying for them! Now, we don't use credit cards. Sometimes it's hard for me because I've allowed myself to become a product of society in that when I want something, I want it. But if I don't buy it on credit I won't have to pay for it later! Using money is a fact of life. Keeping that in mind, I hope to spend wisely and stay out of debt.

No comments: