Monday, June 17, 2013

Don't Wait, Do It Now

Two things: 1) It's important to do what I say I'll do, so that people know they can count on me, and 2) I need to do it sooner than later. The question is not only if I will, but also when I will. Do I wait until the last second to act or do I act right away?

Looking back: When I waited until the last second to act, usually that meant that either -I didn't want to do it, or -I let other things have higher priorities. If I wanted to do something, most likely I did it right away. I always waited to do things until the last minute. In thinking about this, these are the possible reasons why: 1) I gave my all to whatever I did, and most likely I waited until the last minute because I knew I would go all out and it would take effort, 2) I felt more creative at the last minute (when under pressure.)

My creativity back then shined in most of the things I did (because I'm creative.) But when I waited until the last minute to do something, I felt stress. Also, by waiting until the last minute things came to my mind that couldn't be done because I needed more time. (Stress is a motivator. I believe that stress is a natural feeling that will always be felt. A person who prepares may feel butterflies in their stomach as they anticipate the thing for which they've prepared. But when a person procrastinates, they don't feel butterflies but anxiety.)

Since being sick, if I wait until the last minute the thing simply won't get done. My illness gives me the opportunity to prepare in advance...and allows me to feel more calm. I think back to when I waited until the last minute and believe the anxiety wasn't worth the procrastination.

No comments: