Monday, June 03, 2013

Having a Passion or Not

Some people know what they want to do with their lives. They identify their passion early in life and do what they love in their work. A lot of people don't know what they want to do with their lives. They don't identify their passion until later in life (usually in their 40's) and instead do a skill they learn. Sometimes when they discover their passion, they change jobs to do what they love. I've heard that if a person does what they love, they'll never work a day in their life. That's great for people who know what they love, but what if a person doesn't know what they love? In that case a person needs to do what they do well.

What a person loves (their passion) comes naturally. Maybe they develop it, but at the core it's an innate quality. It takes some people more time to discover their passion. I think of it like different body types: some people have high metabolisms and other people don't. Likewise, some people can identify their passion and other's can't.

I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life so I just took a job that paid good money and taught me a valuable skill. I did that skill for many years then switched to do another skill that I also did well. After getting sick, I identified my passions. I see how my jobs used my qualities, but those jobs weren't passions - they were just jobs that I did to get a paycheck. 

If I wanted to do my passion, I'd need more education. I'm not going to attend college now, so that option's out. What's another option for me? To identify my passion(s) and realize how I used my qualities in my jobs.

Qualities are parts of my character - they say how I am. They are ways I've always been. For example, I've always philosophized and I've always been a deep-thinker; I've always loved people; I've always loved to research things; I've always loved to express myself; I've always been religious; I've always loved music; I've always been creative; I've always loved men; I've always been domestic; I've always loved my things.

I see how my qualities have influenced what I've done. I'm a good mom and have a happy home because I'm domestic; I have many heirlooms because I cherish my things; I have a husband because I love men; I make things because I'm creative; I sing and play the piano because I love music; I talk about spiritual things because I'm religious; I have many journals because I love to express myself; I know certain things because I research them; I help people because I love them; I figure things out because I ponder. Each one of my jobs have included things that I like to do, as well as things I'm good at. Everyone has qualities whether or not they've identified their passion(s).

No comments: