Monday, June 24, 2013

Once A Parent, Always A Parent

I longed for my little children once they had grown and left the nest. I had been a mom for so long that, when they left, I didn't know my purpose. Recently I said to one of my children, "I miss being a mom." He said, "You're still a mom."

I may not be raising kids anymore, but my kids are still learning from me. I may not be doing but I am being and the only thing that's changed is position. When I had little kids, I was first, I was the leader, and I knew what's best. Now that they're grown, they're first. They're the leader and we all get to see what they can do. I may have taken a back seat to my kids, but I think it comforts them to know that they're not alone. 

I'm here anytime they need me, but, unlike children who can run to their parents, when they need me they may be a little further away; they might get to drive to my house or pick up the phone. "Once a parent, always a parent" is a true statement. I spent a little time doing (raising,) but I get to spend my entire parenthood being my children's parent. What a happy realization!

No comments: