Wednesday, June 12, 2013

How Do I Want to Say This?

I just had an epiphany. It is that sometimes I'm misunderstood because of my words. I may be correct, but the words I use make what I say sound incorrect. I have felt that many times I'm misunderstood - maybe it's because the words I've said have hurt people. I didn't mean to hurt people with my words, but sometimes I sounded offensive or condemning to them. I may have wanted to speak the truth, but my words sounded either harsh or negative. I never intended to be misunderstood, but I can see how my words could have been taken wrong.

I'm considered nice if I say nice things, but I'm considered mean if the things I say are mean. I had been considered nice for a long time, but I was nice at my own expense - I didn't say anything when other's hurt me because I wanted to be liked. After getting sick, I felt to not to sacrifice my feelings for someone else's - so I stood up for myself and honestly said how I felt. Many of the people who knew me before me getting sick thought I had become mean - I hadn't, I just respected myself and said honest things, whereas before getting sick, I didn't.

When I say something and someone hears it, I can't take it back - it's been said - it's out there. I can't erase the past and change what I said, all I can do is hope for the best, and change from that point forward. I've said things in a blunt way. Now see that it wasn't the best way to say it. I'm sorry if my words caused any unnecessary pain. I may still say hurtful things from time to time because I'm an imperfect human. But hopefully I'll remember to think before speaking, and maybe my words will hurt some people less.

No comments: