Saturday, June 13, 2009

Can't We All Just Get Along?

I've never known much about this country's history, and I haven't really cared. I have never been interested in the news, or what's going on around the world, I've just wanted to live in my own little world. But lately things are changing in government that will affect me and my own little world, so I've wanted to know things for myself instead of relying on what my husband tells me.

I started watching some programs on TV and reading books, and it has really opened my eyes. I'll admit right now, I tend to be conservative, so of course the things I watch and read are going to reflect that. I like Glenn Beck on TV, and I bought a book that he highly recommended on his show 'liberal fascism'. I've enjoyed reading it, but the thing that strikes me most is "why don't more people know history?" It seems like history just repeats itsself, and since people don't know history they think (like I did) that people's ideas are new. But they really aren't. The ideas were thought of long ago, and since people don't know history, it's bound to be repeated (even though it wasn't good the first time.)

The words "liberal fascism" seem so harsh. Almost offensive. I like people, even ones not like me, and I like hearing everyone's opinion. But it seems to me that people have agendas these days. It's sad because I tend to question people's motives instead of just believing them, because most people these days have motives other than what they are saying. For instance, commercials on TV. At first a commercial may seem to care about me, but in reality they are just trying to sell a product or an idea, and they know how to tug at my heart strings so I'll buy or buy into it. It's all marketing. It's not 'real'. Reading books and knowing history, being informed, helps me to see the 'real' instead of just falling for what people say.

I went to Glenn Beck's "Common Sense Tour" when he came to Kansas City. He said a couple of things that really hit me. 1) Every person has a voice. Even common people like me. We get scared into thinking that we have to have some degree, or have the perfect vocabulary, or have a political background in order to speak up. But it's not true. Every person has a voice and can make a difference in our society. If we don't like how things are going in America then stand up and be heard instead of just complaining around the kitchen table. It's not going to help anyone or change anything to just complain to the TV or to my family at dinner time.

2) Reach out to others, reach across the isle, Democrat of Republican doesn't matter, we are all just people and probably have more in common that you would think. Talk about the issues you are concerned about, be people not parties. I like that because it's true. Everyone has a story and things they like or are concerned about. It just creates separation to stay within your 'group'. For example, me and my sister. I'm conservative she is more liberal, or in plain terms, a democrat. But we don't talk about politics, we just talk about life and we have a lot in common. I am open to hearing her views and she is open to hearing mine. Another friend of mine is a democrat too, but same thing, we are friends and think a lot alike. I would like to have more friends like that because it's real. We're just people.

Like I said, I'm getting informed and that is causing me to want to stand up and speak. I just hope that others not like me will want to hear what I have to say. We are all just people. We all have opinions, I wish we could respect one another and be better listeners and try to understand each other.

I was thinking about "The View" on TV and how much I don't like that show. And I was thinking "why don't I like it?" The answer is, because they are mean and in your face. They don't try to understand other people, they just say mean things to people who don't think like them. Same with Bill O'Reilly. He attacks people who don't say what he wants them to say. Why would I watch that? Why do others watch that? It just creates separation, a divison among people. It upsets people. It offends. It doesn't create a sense of safety where people can talk and respect each other. It is mean and unkind. People...stop watching shows like that! Let's start listening to each other. Can't we all just get along?

2 comments:

Colette said...

Yeah to you!!!! I (one of your democrat friends)totally agree with you. I wish people could just talk as people more and not across party lines. Unfortunately I think it will always be politic and religion that will be subjects that people can not change another persons way of thinking of. There are always two sides to a story and always a way to skew the story to your point of view. I just really respect you and your determaination to get informed.

Kiwimommy said...

Great post, Jadey!
"We are all just people." - INDEED!!