Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Book That Helped Me Immensely

Feelings Buried Alive Never Die by Karol K. Truman identifies the differences between feelings, thoughts and emotions. The book helped me to allow myself to feel peace. It says "It seems that part of us is crying out to be liberated from untold years of suppression and denial. What's more, this cry for liberation comes from every corner of the globe. The cry comes seeking relief from pain, hate, anger, fear, war, suffering, hurt, sickness, resentment, loneliness, depression, failure, misery, prejudice, guilt and many other undesirable conditions that afflict mankind today."

It's ironic that I (someone who loves words and expressing themselves) couldn't do that very thing. I remember not being able to identify my feelings beyond saying, "That's mean." I was very hard on myself and lots of mean things ran through my mind. I believed the words in my mind and beat myself up internally many times. My theory is that we allow mean thoughts in our minds because we want to be humble and not arrogant. But it's not arrogant to be kind, loving and nice to ourselves and others.

This book has a section that identifies positive words for every negative thing I might think. I'm so very grateful this book came into my life and helped me. I believe that everyone needs to read it, get in touch with their internal dialogue and allow themselves to feel peace.

No comments: