Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pay Attention to Me!

I read an excellent article on Facebook that my friend posted about experiencing things instead of immediately tweeting or posting a status on Facebook. To read the article, click here.

It's sad to realize that some people are so concerned with something else that they pay more attention to that rather than to their companion. This has gone on for a long time but is in the limelight again because people ignore their friends to look at their cell phones.

Distractions are a variety of things from another person's clothes, another conversation, another phone call, a program on TV, or a cell phone, to name a few things. How many times have I talked on the telephone to someone when they say "hang on, I have another call," or I'm talking to someone and they divert their attention to look at or listen to someone else, or they stop talking to me and instead watch something on TV, or their cell phone vibrates or they get bored so they concentrate on it.

Is it so hard for people to spend time with their friend? Are people's attention spans so small that they need to notice something else when they get bored? It seems like if people aren't constantly entertained they'll do something else. I'm glad I learned to sit and quietly listen but it's a skill some people don't display.

When a person is with me but then concentrates on something else, I feel ripped off. I think to myself am I not important enough to receive their undivided attention? They may apologize for getting distracted, and I may forgive them, but it's still rude.

When a person is with their friend they need to be fully present. That's the only way their friend will feel heard and believe they care. I agree, they need to leave their cell phone in their pocket.

No comments: