Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Reacting to Honesty and Understanding the Meaning

When someone is honest with me they run the risk of me getting mad or defensive. They feel like they're walking on egg shells because they don't want to upset me. They want to be honest but they don't want me to be mad at them.

My family is honest even if it hurts the other person. They say how they feel and the other person listens. When I'm the other person, usually I cry (because the truth hurts) but I most likely change because they're right.

Recently I went on a ride with Andrew which gave us the chance to talk. I appreciate our talks because he is honest, understanding, and kind. I know he cares about me. He doesn't want to hurt my feelings when he says something true, but he wants to say how he feels and be understood. Therefore, I listen, hear him, and make the changes that I can.

I want to be the best person possible. How can I be that unless people are honest?

Andrew described the circle of life so well. He compared life to a globe. He said that a baby's globe is the size of a marble. As we have experiences, our globes grow. Then, as we age, they shrink but never to the size of a marble because we've had experiences. He said that everyone's globe is a different size.

He said that some people considered the things on their globes to be no big deal or small. He indicated that to me those same things were big. He said that perhaps people considered it no big deal to put on socks or to shower, but to me those same things were a big deal because they took a lot of effort.

I appreciated that he understood why I reacted to some things in a certain way.

Sometimes people can't understand why I make such a big deal about something that to them is small. Perhaps when I blow up they just shake their heads in confusion. Things are a big deal to me because they take my effort or I consider them important. I know that most likely when I throw a fit it won't change anything but I want people to understand what I mean.

I like this quote: "Seek first to understand then to be understood."

Sometimes it's hard for me to understand a person because I'm not really listening. Perhaps I think I already know so I tune them out. I need to consider that perhaps I don't know and that's why they keep saying it.

To understand someone I need to listen, internalize what they said, and possibly change.

No comments: