Friday, April 09, 2010

Old Movies


The TCM channel declared Ginger Rogers as Star of the Month in March. They showed a bunch of her movies (without commercials) and I recorded them on my DVR. I've watched most of the recordings and have really enjoyed watching her acting. Most of the movies so far are from the 30's (before she and Fred Astaire became famous.) Credit goes to her for singing "were in the money" in Gold Diggers of 1933: a funny show. She acts well and it surprised me to learn how many movies she acted in before becoming famous. Some of the movies end suddenly or with an innuendo, but that's how producers made movies in the 30's.

Some of her movies that I liked are:
-Gold Diggers of 1933. (She didn't star in the show.) 
-Bachelor Mother. (Because of how the guy fell in love with her.)
-Stage Door. (The movie announcer on TCM said Katherine Hepburn didn't like Ginger Rogers. Warner Brothers considered then BOTH leading ladies because Ginger Rogers brought in money with her movies and Katherine Hepburn had prestige. The TCM movie announcer quoted Katherine Hepburn as saying "Ginger Rogers brought Fred Astaire some sex appeal and he brought her some class." Ouch - I can tell Hepburn didn't like Rogers.)

I'll admit, I like all of the movies so far. Each of them has something that I like. Sometimes the leading man is good looking (Suicide Fleet.) Other times, the story appeals to me. Most of all, I like her. ("You've Said a Mouthful" didn't strike me as funny. Not because of her but because of Joe Holt. He bugged me so I turned the movie off.)

Her movies (that I've seen) are:
Gold Diggers of 1933
You Said a Mouthful (didn't like)
Suicide Fleet
Stage Door (with Katherine Hepburn)
Bachelor Mother
Finishing School
Chance at Heaven
Vivacious Lady (with Jimmy Stewart)
Having Wonderful Time
5th Avenue Girl
Upperworld
Romance in Manhattan

I recommend watching any of these movies (except for "You Said a Mouthful".) I enjoy watching these old movies and now know that Ginger Rogers is one of my favorites.

No comments: