Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Thinking "Make it Work"

I've always had the attitude to "make it work." This attitude applied at home, when I felt tired but my kids needed something. And at work, when I didn't know how to accomplish the thing someone wanted. 
A few weeks ago on Sunday, Andrew asked me if I was going to church. I should have said "No." I didn't plan to go. I knew I'd sleep in and I did. I awoke at 8:46.  In order to go out in public and be at church by 9:00am, I needed to flat iron my hair, put on makeup and get dressed.
I did my hair and makeup and just needed to get dressed. I tried to hurry since I didn't want to miss the sacrament. (After all, whats the point to attend sacrament meeting if I miss taking the sacrament?) I tried to put on my newly opened opaque hose but I kept  slipping off the bed and had to keep standing up and sitting down again. I tried to hurry but I felt myself getting hot. Then I looked at my shirt - it had cat hair all over it. I removed the hose from my legs and thought I'm not going. This is not how I want to arrive at church - a mess. I'd rather have time to get ready the way I wish.

I didn't go to church and wrote this instead.

I think the "make it work" attitude comes from the pioneers. They passed that attitude down to their children and it continued for generations.

I grew up hearing my mom say "make it work" and "do whatever it takes." The pioneers were tough, Mom was tough, and I was tough. Now, I don't want to be that way. I don't want to do things just to please others. I want to please God and I think He wants me to do things because I want to do them.

I realize that the "make it work" attitude causes me to participate in things I might have missed. However, I wonder if I participate because I want to or because of duty. When I do things because it's what I want, it comes from my heart. Does doing my duty come from my heart? When I honestly think about it, usually not. I want to do the things that come from my heart, therefore, I will make it work...when I want to...not when I'm compelled.

Thinking "I'll do it if I want to" is not how most people think. Most people do things to please others...even if they don't want to do it. I did that for many years. The person who had the most unhappiness was me. 

I refuse to be that way any more. Too bad if some people don't like it. My thoughts usually go against the grain. But...I think my thinking is right. I'm not taking the low road  but being authentic. I act one way, the same way in all situations. I don't act two ways, one way to please people and one way to please God.

No comments: