Friday, January 27, 2012

When to Serve

Is it only necessary to serve someone who appears needy? Is there a time limit set as to how long a person should be served? If a person has money and capacity should they be served or expected to be self-sufficient and take care of themselves?

Service means doing something for someone that they can't do for themselves. A person's station shouldn't matter, nor should the length of time, but whether or not they need help. 

When a person gives service it says how they are. When a person receives service their actions also dictate their character. They may feel humbled and show a grateful character. They may feel embarrassed and show an ungrateful character. If they don't receive service they may feel hurt and show a bitter character. Whatever they show says something about their character, not the other person. No matter what they show, if they have a need that they can't do for themselves they should be served.

In the story of the good Samaritan a man was beaten and left on the road for dead. Two people passed by him, looked at him, and did nothing. A Samaritan man saw and took care of him. He didn't know the man or if he had money. He just saw that the man needed help and helped him. 

He gave service and it said something about the kind of person he was.

When people refused to help me, it really hurt my feelings. My hurt caused anger, bitterness, and a desire to hurt back. Ultimately, I chose to show love and kindness because that's how "I" wanted to be. If I would have chosen to be something negative, it wouldn't have hurt them - it would have only hurt me. 

I felt angry (which is always a symptom of something else - I really felt hurt) but I didn't let the anger dictate my character. After feeling the negative emotions, I thought about it and chose how I wanted to be. I know now that the way I am doesn't mean that others are the same way. I thought it did. I assumed that if two people went to the same church then they believed the same things. I learned that is not true. People think differently and not everyone thinks the same.  I am the way I am because I choose to be.

When I give service, it doesn't say how the other person is, it says how I am. Am I the kind of person that when I see a need passes it by and says "I'm glad it's not me," or do I stop and do what I can?

People want to think of themselves as a good Samaritan, but if the service is too hard for them to do are they?

No comments: