Sunday, January 22, 2012

Common Sense or Political Correctness?

Society used to have a minority of people who didn't have common sense. Now the minority seems to be the majority. It appears that a lot of children were taught to see happy things like unicorns and rainbows instead of being taught that sometimes life is unhappy and unfair.

Common sense requires people to think rationally. I don't think that some people have that ability. Maybe that's why being politically correct is more popular than having common sense. 

Political correctness is something that everyone can have. Political correctness says "everyone can get an award because everyone is a winner." Common sense says "everyone who gets an award earned it but not everyone will get one."

Political correctness will never go away but it will create Wuses who cry when they think they aren't treated fairly. Political correctness causes people to treat each other better. Now, most people try to avoid saying things (sexist and racist) that might hurt someone else. I like that part of political correctness.

But, I like common sense too. It causes people to "suck it up because life's not fair." Common sense causes people to be tough. There's something to be said about boys not crying.

Can you imagine men crying when things don't go their way?  How can a man be a knight in shining armor, a protector, and gallant when he shows his weakness and cries? I don't want my man to cry. I want him to be brave and chivalrous. I want him to show me that he can defeat whatever he faces. I want to know that he's smart and willing to do the right thing.

I'm for people acknowledging their feelings (because everyone has them!) But, I'm also for people being tough. It seems like society thinks we should be one or the other - either politically correct or have common sense.

I think we should have both. People need to be nice but they also need to be tough.

No comments: