Thursday, May 15, 2014

Doing What Makes Me Happy

A wonderful book
My friend told me about a book called The Artist's Way (which is a fabulous book). I believe that EVERYONE is an artist when they do what they love. It's easy to confuse fine art (painting, dancing, singing, writing, photography) with art. But an artist is someone who creates, therefore an artist could be anyone who loves what they do. When you do what you love you give 100%. (If I loved numbers and was an accountant, everything I made would be great because I put my heart and soul into it-I did it with 100% effort.)

In the book The Artist's Way the author lists 10 basic principles. I believe these principles relate to everyone and they are a good gauge to measure them being true to themselves. The 10 things are statements, but to use them as a gauge maybe they need to be questions and supporting statements.

The basic principles
Basic Principles
  1. Creativity is the natural order of life. Life is energy: pure, creative energy.
  2. There is an underlying, in-dwelling creative force infusing all of life – including ourselves.
  3. When we open ourselves to our creativity, we open ourselves to the creator’s creativity within us and our lives.
  4. We are, ourselves, creations. And we, in turn, are meant to continue creativity by being ourselves.
  5. Creativity is God’s gift to us. Using our creativity is our gift back to God.
  6. The refusal to be creative is self-will and is counter to our true nature.
  7. When we open ourselves to exploring our creativity, we open ourselves to God: good orderly direction.
  8. As we open our creative channel to the creator, many gentle but powerful changes are to be expected.
  9. It is safe to open ourselves up to greater and greater creativity.
  10. Our creative dreams and yearnings come from a divine source. As we move toward our dreams, we move toward our divinity.

My idea of the basic principles
Basic Principles as questions/supporting statements
  1. Am I doing what I love? If I am, my creativity will flow like energy.
  2. Am I doing what I love? If I am, my creativity will come naturally.
  3. Am I doing what I love? If I am, my creativity will allow the Creator to work through me.
  4. Am I doing what I love? If I am, this is what I'm meant to do.
  5. Am I doing what I love? If I am, my creativity will be my gift to God. (My creativity is a gift from Him.)
  6. Am I doing what I love? If I am, that's super! (The refusal to be creative goes against my true nature.)
  7. Am I doing what I love? If I am, my creativity will cause more creativity and will cause more experiences where the Creator can work through me.
  8. Am I doing what I love? If I am, my creativity will allow me to be my true self.
  9. Am I doing what I love? If I am, my creativity is okay and will allow me to be truly creative. (It's risky to be creative and follow my heart when the world tells me to do what causes stability. But if I don't be true to myself, I won't be happy. My creativity may not pay off immediately but I believe that it will. I believe in myself, and I believe in my dreams.)
  10. Am I doing what I love? If I am, my creativity will move me toward my dreams and toward divinity.
Why I need to do what I love
I truly believe that if people did what they loved (their natural gift) there'd be less stress in the world. I also believe that people would be happier. I believe its a trick from the adversary designed to take away our happiness that we are told to do what makes money-no matter what it is (we believe it) instead of doing what makes us happy.

No comments: