Monday, January 13, 2014

A Great Poem

Good Timber
-by Douglas Malloch

The tree that never had to fight
For sun and sky and air and light,
But stood out in the open plain
And always got its share of rain,
Never became a forest king
But lived and died a scrubby thing.

The man who never had to toil
To gain and farm his patch of soil,
Who never had to win his share
Of sun and sky and light and air,
Never became a manly man
But lived and died as he began.

Good timber does not grow with ease:
The stronger wind, the stronger trees;
The further sky, the greater length;
The more the storm, the more the strength.
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
In trees and men good timbers grow.

Where thickest lies the forest growth,
We find the patriarchs of both.
And they hold counsel with the stars
Whose broken branches show the scars
Of many winds and much of strife.
This is the common law of life.

My friend gave this poem to me in the 80's. I have since given copies to some other friends. To me, this poem speaks of strength. People are strong and sometimes they don't recognize their strength until they have to be strong. I think of those people like a limb that bends in the wind. It might get blown pretty hard, maybe even touch the ground, but it doesn't break -- it's pretty resilient!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You gave me a framed copy of this poem. It hung on my wall for years and encouraged me to withstand some of the hard times that I was going through. It helped me through my divorce, two cross country moves and several unexpected job changes. I read it when I went through a rough relationship as well. Finally, I wrapped it up and presented it to my daughter for her graduation from college. She grew up reading this poem on our walls. Now as the winds blow in her life, she has a reminder that the rough times only make us stronger. She expressed so much appreciation for receiving the gift. Thank your for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jade.