Monday, January 20, 2014

I Did It! (and it helped me)

What I Did
I cleaned the living room as best I could. I asked Andrew to do the things I couldn't including bringing up the vacuum from the basement. He wanted to help but he just needed to know what to do, and he didn't want my project to become his. I vacuumed the floor and did the things I could. The living room is clean thanks to me.

How it Helped Me
Cleaning and vacuuming felt hard but afterward I felt a great sense of accomplishment. I realized, I CAN do it and I'm glad I had the courage to try. Sometimes when I struggle I can feel other people's discomfort. Many times they have stepped in to help me, but I think they do it so they won't see me struggle. I truly believe that they want to be nice but when they do things for me that I can do for myself my faith in me disappears and I think, I can't do it

Thoughts About What I Did
I may be handicapped but I'm capable to do some things and want to try. I know myself well enough to say that I'll ask for help when I've tried to do something but can't do it. It might be hard to see me struggle but when I do it myself I'm stronger and believe in my ability. I know that people wonder if they need to help me and I hope they'll ask me before just doing it. When I say, "No thanks" I hope they'll let me try and step in only if the fact is that I can't.

Religiously speaking: Jesus' main teaching is that you can do it. He says, "It's never too late" and "Try". LDS missionaries serve to help people believe in themselves. They say, "You can do it" and they inspire people to know it for themselves. The only thing I can do for others is teach, encourage, and inspire; I can learn a lot from the master teacher.

I'm glad that I cleaned the living room and that no one did it for me.

No comments: