Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Accomplishments are a Big Deal!

I used to shrug off my accomplishments and think of them as no big deal. I am creative and would think I can replicate the thing if I need it. I no longer hand-write but when I could, I wrote things to cheer people up. I can no longer sing but when I could, I sang to people to encourage them. I no longer draw but when I did, I made some wonderful art. At work, I made many good spreadsheets and typed great letters that included just the right words and sentences. At home, I ironed well and cleaned thoroughly.

I never valued the creative things I did, but I can't do them anymore and now I think Wow! I had talent. (I know I still have talent, but the great things I once did, I thought came naturally to everyone. Now I know that everyone couldn't do the great job I did.)

Everyone has at least one talent - I'd venture to say they have many. The things that came naturally to me, could also be called talents. When I felt inspired to sing, I sang. When I thought that perhaps the quote or poem or book I had would help someone, I gave it to them. I gladly gave away many things and didn't save a copy for myself because the thing was for them not me.

Today I wondered, as I looked around my home, how will my kids know that I cared about people? I think they will know because of how I cared about them.

This morning I considered all the things I had made and thought amazing. The things I did are noteworthy and deserve acknowledgment. I wouldn't have once thought that but instead would have shrugged it off because it came easy to me. I considered the things I did "no big deal."

People have talents that I don't have. Perhaps they don't consider them amazing because they come naturally, but I'm here to say "things they do that they think aren't a big deal ARE!" People need give themselves credit for what they can do instead of think they need to do more.

No comments: