Thursday, June 28, 2012

Obamacare

Call it healthcare in America or Obamacare. Whatever you call it doesn't matter because the Supreme Court determined it's here to stay. The Supreme Court found a loop hole in the law (in the commerce clause) where they determined it constitutional to fine a person.

According to them, it's unconstitutional to force someone to have insurance. However...if a person goes to the hospital without having insurance, they will be fined. (Just like if someone gets in a car accident and they don't have car insurance, they will be fined with a ticket.)

It sounds good so far, doesn't it?

This law doesn't change anything except that now the government will get more money. Some people still won't get insurance, and when they go to the emergency room the doctor will still help them (because the doctor swore by the Hippocratic oath to practice medicine ethically and honestly.) But now, when a person goes to the emergency room without insurance they will be fined. In my opinion, when a person gets fined, that money won't go to the hospital. The money will go to the city (government) and the hospital won't see one penny of it.

(Just like when my mom got in a car accident with an uninsured driver. Yes, the driver got fined. No, my mom didn't get  the money to fix her car. The money went to the city. Legally, all the policeman could do was say to my mom "Sorry." My mom had to pay to fix what she hadn't damaged. What a crappy situation, but she could only act within the law. Unfortunately, the law didn't rule on her side. The law sided with the uninsured driver. Now, the law will side with the uninsured medical person.)

People won't get insurance just because the law requires it. If they can't afford it, they can't afford it.

Now that I think of it, how will the person without medical insurance be fined - will the hospital call the police? Surely, the Supreme Court isn't giving hospital's the police authority to fine people. Assuming they are (a scary thought,) are they also giving doctor's office's that authority when a person goes to the doctor without medical insurance? Where does it stop? When does the Supreme Court say "that's too far"? The Supreme Court said "We're not responsible for people's choices." I feel like I'm on my own and my Supreme Court won't defend me...they'll defend the other guy.

I do think Americans need healthcare reform, but I don't think Obamacare is the answer. However, now that Obamacare has gotten the Supreme Court's stamp of approval , I don't think it will ever be changed because cities won't want to give up their newly gotten money. Obamacare is fair to some people, but unfair to a lot of others.

No comments: