Friday, June 22, 2012

A Photo Experience

I have to blog about this because our feelings showed in our family picture. I bought a Target Portrait package from Groupon because I wanted a family picture with our newest family member, Kimbra. I scheduled our photo shoot for the same Saturday that Andrew flew to California but the gal on the phone assured me we would be done well before the time we had leave for the airport.

Andrew's flight left at 2:30 P.M. Per and I planned to drive Andrew to the airport, and we needed to leave by 12:30 (in order to get there an hour before the flight.) I scheduled our portrait time for 10:00 in the morning (and knew it would take about an hour.) I figured that getting home by 11:00 would give us plenty of time to change clothes before going to the airport.

We got to Target promptly for our appointment. Two girls worked that day. One of them told us to wait while the other people in the studio finished, so we sat on the chairs in the waiting area. The people in the studio finished and came out to the front where they looked at their pictures on a computer and chose a package.

The same girl came over to us again and told us we had to wait longer because of them being short handed. Then we watched as two more families arrived and went into the studio ahead of us! We waited an hour past our appointment before finally getting into the studio at 11:00. (I considered us having our pictures taken while feeling extremely angry an ironic situation.)

We waited for so long that during our session the photographer had devised a plan. She said she would take our pictures, then we would leave, then we would go back to their store after we went to the airport, then we would pick our pictures. I felt so flustered that I didn't notice the fact that she took pictures of ALL the kids and didn't take any of just Bryan and Kimbra. We followed her plan and upon our return to the studio, Per and I picked the pictures we liked best. Then, again, we left.

The photographer took our pictures by noon. We drove home and changed before going to the airport. Andrew made his flight. We got our pictures taken. But our photo experience didn't happen the way I planned: I wanted the experience to feel happy but instead it felt stressful.

Per just picked up our pictures yesterday even though they had been ready since May 30. Of course the girl tried to sell him additional pictures besides the ones we bought. He just wanted to get our pictures and get out of there, so he told her no thanks. (I'm glad I didn't go into the store instead of Per because if she had tried to sell me additional pictures I would have given her a piece of my mind...and it wouldn't have been pretty.)

Most of the photos surprised me and looked nice. I laughed when I saw our family photo because Per, Bryan, and I don't look that great whereas Andrew and Kimbra do. One thing I know is that I will NEVER again buy a Target portrait package.

Here are the pictures we got. The composite picture is large and wouldn't fit in my scanner but you get the idea. Don't let the picture of just Bryan and Kimbra fool you: it also included Andrew but Target must have cropped him out.






No comments: