Thursday, June 07, 2012

Political Correctness Isn't What We Think

I don't like for people to tell me what to think and how to feel, but some people do and I think that's why we have political correctness. 

Political Correctness tells people how to behave. It says "don't say that because it's mean, instead say this." I noticed the effect P.C. had on my thinking when I watched "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" last Christmas. The kids at school made fun of his nose and called him names. His dad put mud on his nose so the kids wouldn't make fun of him. My politically correct thinking caused me to not like the meanness of the kids and to not want to watch the show. I have watched that show for years but that time I particularly noticed the mean comments over Rudolph having to be tough and a hero in the end.

I think being nice is great but I don't agree with telling people how they "should" be to the point that they feel guilty. I believe that even though a person is told how to be, at the first chance they get, they will be how they are. I saw this occur when people were allowed to comment on news stories. Instead of them being nice (or pc) some people said mean things and hid behind anonymity. I think they were even more rude because they weren't associated with their name. No body knew who they were when they had online names like "FatMan" and "Jokester."

People are who they are. Telling others to be another way makes them feel disapproval and guilt. They have to want to change because they want it not because there are told. It's great to say how to be without preaching, condemning, and guilting. Jesus said "don't judge" but when He encountered a judgemental person He didn't condemn them....He loved and showed mercy to them.

Kids aren't politically correct. They call others names like fat, ugly, and stupid. Adults tell kids to be nice, but kids still call names. Instead of the victims getting tough, they get angry and say "it's not fair." Adults make everyone a winner but kids know there's really only one. Adults make awards that are fair but life isn't fair. When kids get into the "real world" they aren't prepared. They think everyone should be awarded because that's what they're taught. They're wimps instead of tough because they weren't taught to be tough but to get angry or cry at the unfairness.

I think that political correctness is a ploy for people not to defend themselves. Kids are taught to think of the other person instead of themselves...when they are the one's getting bullied. That's wrong. The mentality to think of the other person would be a good way to think...if we lived in a perfect world. Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world. Some people in this world want to kill us, and we need to defend ourselves. We don't need to start a fight, but if someone else does than we need to protect ourselves. 

Political correctness isn't good. It's good to be nice, but it's not good to be forced. I hope my post is a wake up call to all people to realize that they don't want to be forced. I believe that political correctness was started in the 60's by metaphysical people who believed in eastern religions. They founded social groups in the 80's and taught their philosophies on recognizing feelings, and being peaceful to establish peace. The world embraced it and now, 30 years later, we are wimps and won't defend ourselves.

Let's be what we know is right. We know right from wrong, let's do it. 

No comments: