Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Few Memories of Gma and Gpa Gordon

I couldn't possibly mention ALL the memories I have of Gma and Gpa Gordon because there are simply too many. Here are a few interesting ones. When I think of them, I think of them at 320 N State St #10, Orem, UT 84057, the place that was "their house,"  not at the place where they lived just before they died.They lived in the trailer court - right on State Street  (between 2nd south and Center Street) - which had a lovely view of the mountains. It was the nicest trailer in the place. Perhaps other tenants considered them their grandparents too, because they were loving and watched out for everyone.

Their neighbor behind them, Kaye, was like family. They especially cared about her. She never married, and lived alone. Gpa mowed her lawn. Kaye, Gma, and I sang a trio in church once. We practiced the music several times at Kaye's house where she played our parts on her piano. For many years she taught English at Orem High (my high school) and also coached the cheerleaders. She came from Idaho. Her brother, Lynn, lived in a small trailer, on the other side of the road across from Gma and Gpa to the North. He had a cherry tree that produced the best bing cherries; big, juicy, and dark red-almost black.

I hated venison because I had only tasted gma's. It was bottled meat in a 1 qt jar. I thought everyone ate venison that way. I didn't like venison until I ate Monika's deer roast in Sweden - the most delicious roast I ever ate - not gamey at all.

Gma worked part-time (from 9-1) at the county assessor's office in Provo. She shared her job with her sister, Aileen. Many times after work she stopped somewhere and got a sandwich for Gpa's lunch.

They often called lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper".

I ate dinner/supper at their house countless times. When one piece of meat remained, Gpa would look at me and say, "Whomp that up."

Gpa called me his Little Miss America.

Family never rang the doorbell, but just walked into their house. Every time I came over one of them said, "There's my Jade honey." (I cry remembering how much they loved me.)

Gma taught me many camp songs like "I've been working on the railroad", "Hey, Look Me Over, Lend Me an Ear", "Side by Side", and "I stuck my head in a little skunks hole". Us kids sat in the back of Gpa's truck whenever we went somewhere and sang at the top of our lungs.

Gpa caught many trout in Provo River or at Strawberry Resevoir. Gma would fry up the fish after Gpa cleaned them. Their house smelled so good when Gma fried those filets.

Their house had two bedrooms, one on each end. In actuality, it was small. But everyone (their kids and grand-kids) gathered there. For me, the highlight of Christmas morning was at their house (when I saw everyone and we exchanged presents.) They had bbqs, birthday parties, and sleep overs there.

They were highly revered. Whenever someone new came into the family, they were taken to Gma and Gpa's and introduced.

I loved them.

Gpa, Lani, and Gma sitting in the big yard to watch me
1981. Lani, Jade, Mom, Gma, Kenneth, Maile
Gma and Mom in the 80's
Gpa and his Herculean trout
Little Jade and Gpa Gordon
Gma Gordon
Gpa Gordon (sitting in his spot: at the kitchen table by the window)
Gma Gordon, Jade, Mom (when Jade went to the temple for the first time)
Ken's (KJ's) First Bday
Kenneth John, Grandpa John Dean Gordon, Lani
Gma and Aileen at the county assessor's office
Grandma, Louise Clark Gordon

No comments: