Monday, March 24, 2014

The Truth About My Body

I took a shower today and, unfortunately for me, the mirror in my bathroom is huge and directly across from the shower. (I get to look at myself every time I'm in the shower...and I never do!) Today I thought, I wish I had a different body. You know me...I ponder, and that's exactly what I did after my shower.
  • I thought about how for many years I hated my body and, honestly, myself.
  • I thought about how the 'skinny' girls on TV, in commercials, in movies, in magazines, and in person caused me to hate myself every time I looked at them.
Being the religious person I am: 
  • I thought about how if my child hated themselves because they wished for a different body I'd be sad because I loved them and wanted them to be happy, and that's probably how Heavenly Father felt about me.
  • I thought about who wanted me to hate myself and my body because he intended to hurt me, and because he never got born and didn't have a body.
Then:
  • I thought about how wonderful it was for me to have a body and mind that helped me be a great person.
  • I thought, So what if my body isn't the one I want. I can be a great person no matter the kind of body I have
  • Lastly, I thought about all the ways I could be a great person.
It's a lie made up by Satan that if I'm not the 'right' shape I need to feel ashamed and be that shape. The truth is that all kinds of body types exist and honestly how I look doesn't matter, but who I am. The idea that I have to be a certain body type distracts me from working on important things like aspects of my character.

1 comment:

jessica said...

This is great advice and wise words. Thanks for sharing Sister Lovgren!!