Thursday, January 31, 2013

Defending My Beliefs

Recently (in the last year or so) it seems like many people and TV shows are pushing society to accept a behavior in which a lot of people don't believe. People in the media and on TV refer to this behavior as okay, and many people have change their beliefs. If I said, "That's wrong," some people would call me a name. Name calling is an intimidation and bullying tactic to get me to change my views. Those tactics won't work on me. I see them for what they are and don't feel scared. I stand firmly for my beliefs instead of changing them when I get bullied. I truly believe this, "If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything."

I will defend my beliefs. Cunning ways are employed when trying to convince me to change. I don't blindly do what I hear, but research and think about it first. Therefore, when someone says, "Believe this, not that," I don't automatically do it. A while ago, I heard a TV producer say, "The best way to get people to change their beliefs is to make them like or pity the thing they think is wrong." That seems true. 

For example, look at the show "Sister Wives." When asking most people about their views on polygamy, they'll say, "It's wrong." Then they'll watch the show (probably out of curiosity,) and over time fall in love with the wives, the husband, and the children. The next time they're asked about their views on polygamy (what they once considered wrong,) they'll think of the wives, or the husband, or the children, or all of them and soften their views. If bombarded to accept polygamy they'll eventually change. This example could be said for many shows. Bottom line: I'm not willing to watch something that challenges my beliefs, and possibly changes them. I stand up for what I believe.

I love this poem that I've heard more than once:
"Vice is a monster of so frightful mien
As to be hated remains to be seen;
Yet seen to oft, familiar with her face,
We first endure, then pity, then embrace."

I don't want to embrace anything that I consider wrong, therefore I won't keep myself in any situation that causes me to endure or pity it. I'm willing to stand for what I think is right even if I'm the only one.

No comments: