Thursday, January 24, 2013

God's Communication

I've been told that there are things a person should never talk about; namely, 'income, political persuasion, and religion.' I think that's true IF a person thinks their beliefs are better than another person's. I talk about what I believe because 1) I know that people respect what I say even if they don't agree, and 2) I don't think my beliefs are better than anyone else's; everyone has the right to believe what they do. I say what I believe and know a person may disagree; I also know that at least they know my opinion.

Talking about God is a volatile subject because many people believe differently. I don't intend for anyone to change their beliefs based on what I say. I only want to say what I believe. I think that God is loving, but many people don't. They think of him as condemning, punishing, and judgmental. Some people think he doesn't exist. Some people don't care whether or not he exists - all they know is that they rely on themselves, not Him. Some people believe that anyone who believes in God is weak-minded. People are free to believe whatever they want. Here's what I believe:

God is real and He's a person. He's a perfect, glorious, being, and the kind of person I strive to one day become. He is called Heavenly Father because He's the father of my spirit. Part of me is divine, godly, and beautiful. When I think of myself as stupid, ugly, dumb, and the many other negative attributes I may say I am, I remember to tell myself the truth: that I'm smart, beautiful, divine, and can rise above those negative things. I tell myself that the negative attributes are lies that hold me down and make me not believe who I really am.

I'm in awe when I consider that God created this planet, all the things on it, this vast universe, and that He cares about me. I am so small compared to the many things He created and yet He created those things for me; for my happiness. I am His greatest creation and He wants me to be happy. He cares about me as much as (probably more than) I care about my children. The love I have in my heart for my kids is the way he feels about me. He wants me to succeed and to realize that everything I experience is for my good. 

God communicates with me in several ways. He inspires me to think something good and I take the thought and run with it. He whispers peace to my soul and comforts me when I'm sad; I've felt his presence many times and it feels like a hug and that my heart will explode with happiness. I believe He comes to me whenever I need him, like a father would go to his daughter just to say, "It'll be okay." Sometimes I feel something good when I hear a song, or read a book, or watch a movie, or talk to a friend, and know it's God talking to me through them and telling me what He wants me to know.

God is good and is in my life more than I think. He encourages me and never stops, even when I don't think about Him. He's blessed me many times in my life when I didn't do anything. I know He loves me. My earthly dad may not have been in my life but my heavenly dad is. Knowing that He loves me gives me great self-esteem when I think of who I am; when I consider the truth.

No comments: