Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I'm Focusing on My Goal In Order to Get It

A person only did one hour's work when the rest of the workers had worked all day. They got paid for their work and all got the same amount. Some of the workers said, "That's not fair! We worked longer than him and yet we all got the same amount!" The person who paid them said, "I didn't treat you unfairly. You agreed to the amount and that's what you got paid." Then he said, "Why do you choose to be jealous when I choose to be kind?"

That last question really gets me when I think about it. Am I being jealous when I think something's unfair? Does it really matter what someone else gets when I get my fair share? That story makes me tell myself, "Just be concerned with yourself, not them."

Concerning myself about others is one of my biggest weaknesses. Imagine my coach saying, "Just look at me" and motioning imaginary walls around him and me as I dart my head from side to side and look at everyone else. If I'd just focus on him I'd get my goal instead of focusing on others and getting distracted. When I type what I need to do it becomes clear-focus on my goal, and not focus on things that will distract me.

No comments: