Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Living by The Golden Rule

The Golden Rule says to treat others the way you want to be treated. So, if I want people to be kind to me I need to be kind to them. I remember when society tried to live by The Golden Rule; they often thought of others. People held the door open for others because they knew it would be held open for them, they didn't call people after 9PM because that was rude, they quieted their kids so they wouldn't bother someone, and they gave the older person their seat. They did many more things but the bottom line is that they thought of someone besides themselves.

I wish that society today would live by The Golden Rule but it seems like society lives by this: Whatever you do to me I'll do to you. The Golden Rule thinks about the other person, but the current way of thinking seems selfish. It's hard to live by The Golden Rule, especially when others don't, but how I behave says how I am and it comes down to this question: Do I think of others or just myself?

No comments: