Monday, July 21, 2014

Reflections on "How Great Shall Be Your Joy"

I've always heard the scripture about "how great shall be your joy" equated to missionary work. (Implying that if you spend all your life doing missionary work and only bring one soul to Heavenly Father how great shall be your joy. And if your joy is great with one soul imagine how great your joy will be if you bring many souls to Him.)

A few verses before the "how great shall be your joy" scripture the Lord says, "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God". I can see how every soul is great to God because every soul is his child. I relate to God in my small way - I'm a parent and each of my children is infinitely important to me, so I understand why he said that.

Last week I attended the temple and did work for someone else because I did work for myself 20 years ago. At home I thought about how I helped a soul get what they need to live in Heavenly Father's presence. It occurred to me that I've been endowed in the temple for 20 years and have helped many souls get what they need. The scripture about "how great shall be your joy" crossed my mind and made me realize that when I meet those souls in heaven it will indeed be joyous!

It's joyous to bring souls to the gospel and equally joyous to help them get what they need. I believe the "how great shall be your joy" scripture doesn't just apply to missionaries but it applies to everyone.

"How Great Shall Be Your Joy"
15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! 16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me! - D&C 18:15-16

No comments: