Saturday, February 25, 2012

Wanting to be Prepared

Much of my life now depends on the internet. I write in my journal and blog online. I look up what I need to know on Google. I am entertained by online music, movies, and Facebook.

I realized my dependence on technology when I didn't have access to the World Wide Web. I was not able to use the Internet, or update my blog(s), or basically use my computer, for three days. I tried to fix the problem but couldn't. Because of this, my life, more or less, stopped. I found myself doing things at 9am that I normally did at noon because I wasn't on the computer.

My extra time caused me to think philosophically. I thought about my dependency. I considered how what I had once done was not what I did now. Technology made my life easier but it also handicapped me in that it did for me what I once did.

For example, balancing my checkbook and writing checks. Checks got replaced with my ATM card. Instead of paying for things with a check (or second guessing my purchase,) I handed the cashier my ATM card.

Other things had also changed including: 1) No longer receiving paper bills, 2) Receiving electronic receipts, and  3) Using electronic mail. My bills came to me electronically and I paid them the same way. I no longer received a lot of paper receipts because, for the most part, receipts were sent to me electronically, and I sent much more email than "snail" (regular) mail. (I have a Yahoo! email account and if they went out of business I'd be in a world of hurt.)

My car has a computer. So does my washer and dryer. In fact, so do most of the appliances in my house. If they don't have computers, they're at least digital. My furnace and air conditioning are controlled by an electronic thermostat. And my TV is HD.

Most of the things in my life exist for my comfort. They make my life easier, but I don't "need" them. I can exist if they're not there. If I want to be radical, all I really need are the basics - food, shelter, and heat. Everything else exists for my comfort and I like them but they're not necessary.

I never waste my time dwelling on what ifs, but realizing my dependence on technology and what could happen if the things I'm used to are taken away make me feel concerned and to want my life before technology.

I'm comfortable because of technology but can see how I've given control to the companies with whom I do business. My control also means my freedom. I used to direct most of the things in my life. Now, companies do that. They say "for your comfort" but what they really mean is "for us to call the shots in your life".

I don't want to radically give up all technology - because I like comfort and staying with the times. But my realization has helped me to know what I will and won't do. I am willing to live without technology (if necessary)  and luckily, I remember life "before." (I know I can handle it if something happens to permanently cause me to live in the past.)

I want to be prepared for any situation I face. Therefore I want to know how to do things the old way - just in case.

No comments: