Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Prop 8 Hype

If you live in America, you've heard of Prop 8. It's a proposition for a law in California that supports traditional marriage. Gay people are outraged because they want to have legal access to the word "marriage" and they want homosexual marriages legally recognized by the state.

Someone came up with the slogan "No Hate" regarding this proposition - inferring that if a person supports traditional marriage, they hate gay people.

My church is related to this proposition (as are many churches) because a person in my church is running to become the U.S. President. My church has told its members in CA to support traditional marriage and vote for the proposition. My church believes in traditional marriage (between a man and woman) and is in favor of traditional families (a dad, a mom, and children.)

The people who support gay marriage don't approve of supporting only traditional marriage. They say to my church (and it's people) "Who are you to judge?" They think gay people should be allowed to legally marry whomever they want and that no person (or organization) has the right to stand between two people who love each other.


I think that a person can do whatever they want but if they want to change the law to include their behavior, in this case I don't think that should happen.

My church doesn't get involved in political elections. It doesn't tell it's members to vote for certain people. It does, however, tell it's members to vote for or against values in which it believes - when those values are threatened.

I believe the slogan and the people who want to legalize gay marriage are bullying people who disagree with them.


I support traditional marriage, but that doesn't mean I hate gay people.

Since when is it wrong to have an opinion? I stand up for what I believe - even when people try to intimidate me - even when they try to sway my beliefs.

Some Mormon's are hateful and bigoted and narrow minded and say mean things. Their thinking and behavior is wrong. But to use a blanket statement like "Mormons think..." is naive. I'm a Mormon and perhaps I don't think what is said.


It's ironic that the people who don't want to be judged seem to be judging.

I don't treat gay people any differently than straight people. But I do have my opinion. No matter what I think, I believe in following the law. Also, I believe in the 12th Article of Faith of my church which says "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

Currently U.S. law only recognizes traditional marriage. If the law changes to recognize homosexual marriage too I will have my opinion but continue to follow the law.

I don't agree with everything a person thinks but that doesn't mean they get to call me names. Sometimes we will have to agree to disagree.

1 comment:

bryce said...

I love you jade....I'm going to I think wisely before I respond....