Monday, February 27, 2012

Proud of My Heritage

Recently I made a graphic of our family tree - so that I would know who to focus on when doing genealogy. Seeing the names of my ancestors made me feel proud of my heritage. I have six nationalities - Hawaiian, Chinese, Portuguese, Swedish, Danish, and English. I thought I was mostly Hawaiian (on my dad's side,) but I'm mostly Chinese too. I have three ancestors who were from China, three from Hawaii, and two from Portugal.


The most interesting person to me was on my dad's side. She was my dad's grandmother - Sarah Kinney. Her parents never married (even though they had a child together.) She's interesting to me because she was an illegitimate child (a person nonetheless) and she was my great-grandmother. It wasn't her fault that her parent's never married! I want to know more about her and the kind of person she was.

I want to know about all my ancestors - especially my fourth generation because I never knew them. Their names are Nettie Christine Andersen, Marten Niclas Hansson Boberg, Mary Rebecca Bolton, John Henry Gordon, Emma Maria Farrer, John Gideon Clark, William Kendall (Parshall) Hatfield, Catherine Ansell, Maria de Sousa, Francisco Perreira, Genevieve Aki Akana, Chang Cho Sing, Puaokina, Kihapiilani William Kinney, See Yeun and Wong Yee Chu.

Each one of them was a person who had a story. They had reasons why they did things and I want to know what they were. They are truly more than just names and dates to me.

I appreciate my Great-Grandma Clark's genealogy work. She did a lot of research that has been very helpful to me. I love her for many reasons and her genealogy work is one of them. But the work she did is for only part of my family tree - actually, a small part. I also want to know about the Gordon's and the Chu's - and Per's family history.

I have two children and when they begin their genealogy work, my third generation will become their fourth generation. They will say they never knew those people, but I knew some. I hope my knowledge will be helpful to them.

No comments: