Thursday, June 12, 2014

Getting Closer to Where I Want to Go

I heard an excellent thing said today, "Sometimes we take the wrong road so we'll know the right road with assurity". I believe that statement with all my heart. Sometimes I've taken the road that leads to a bad place, but when I turned around and took the correct road I knew for sure it would get me where I wanted to go.

Life is full of forks in the road and I have to choose which road to take. It helps me to think of the final destination-where I want to go (I want to go there so I'll take this road). Sometimes I want to go there but take detours. The point isn't the detours but that I got there. Also, the point is not when I got there but that I got there-if it's still there than great!

Knowing the destination makes me think of Alice in Wonderland. Alice came to a fork in the road and said to the Cheshire Cat, "Which road should I take?" The Cheshire Cat said, "Where do you want to go?" Alice said, "I don't know" and the Cheshire Cat said, "Then, it doesn't matter which road you take." I love that example, it tells me that knowing a destination is good. Perhaps if Alice said, "I want to get out of Wonderland" the Cheshire Cat would have said, "Then, take that road because this road leads to the queen's house."

Even though Alice took the road leading to the queen's house all was not lost. She fought the Jaberwocke and learned about herself. I'm not sure she took the incorrect road but just the road that led to potential peril. She defeated the dragon and got out of Wonderland. Isn't that story a parallel to life? Sometimes our choices lead to potential peril, we defeat dragons, we learn about ourselves, we choose the correct roads, and we reach our destinations.

No comments: