Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Some Words Mean So Much More

I've been thinking about this poem ever since I read it. To me, it speaks about so much more than baking bread. (Words like 'love', 'progression', and 'creation' come to my mind.) I love this woman's poetry, it speaks to my soul.

BAKING BREAD

There seemed more accusation
Than admiration
In Vivian's voice
When she said,
"Well, I wish I had time
To bake bread!"...

And so sometimes when
The loaves were in the oven
And Vivian was at the door
Louise mumbled something about
Another bake sale again
 
And never even tried to explain
Her near-religious ritual:
 
How the flour on her fingers
Was the sun and the rain
And the earth
 
How the thump of her palms
On the dough
Was the dance of women
On the ancient threshing floor
 
How the smell of baking
Leavened her
And left her believing that
We rise, we rise
 
And how the cutting
Of the first warm slice
For the first child home
Made her a bounteous goddess
With life in her hand.
 
(Pearson, Carol Lynn, "Baking Bread", Beginnings and Beyond, Springville: Cedar Fort, 2005. 77. Print)

No comments: