Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Future is Bright

"If I knew then what I know now things would have been different." Maybe, but I would still have had good and bad times. I've heard, "If I could go back and tell myself some things I could save myself some heart ache." I don't know if that's true for a couple reasons:

1) I wouldn't have listened. Surely, I wanted a few things different but if they were different the changes wouldn't have meant what they mean to me now.
 
2) The bad AND good things would have changed. When I pine for the past I want the good things to stay but the bad things to go. If I could go back and tell myself some things I could save myself some heart ache, but everything in my life would also change and I wouldn't be who I am today.

The past is gone, it's over, it happened and I can't go back and change it. Good things didn't only happen in my past and only bad things happen now. I look back and miss certain jobs, and friends, but the only thing I can do now is know that in my future are new opportunities and new friends. When I look back at what I previously had I see the good things. I want them because I'm drawn to goodness but honestly if I got them I'd get the bad things too; when I consider that I don't want to have it again.

All I can do is say, "It was a time in my life " (the past), let it go, and look ahead. I look forward to good things - knowing what I know now.

 

No comments: