Saturday, May 17, 2014

What F.O.C.U.S. Means to Me

I've experienced this scenario countless times: I'm doing something. I start doing something else. I tell myself, "Finish the first thing before starting the second thing". I believe there's no such thing as multitasking-doing two or more things each at 100%. I may do more than one thing at a time but unless I focus on just one task, I won't give 100%.

Many times before getting MS this was my scenario for cooking dinner: Having the TV on but not watching it, talking on the phone, my young child sitting on my foot, and me cooking something on the stove. I liked juggling many things and feeling "busy". I cooked dinner, set the table, knew my family would shove the food in their mouths in 10 minutes and leave me with a mess to clean up, nevertheless I did it because I loved them. I didn't give 100% to cooking dinner - I did it because we had to eat.

The F.O.C.U.S. acronym doesn't apply to every situation (case in point: the above scenario). But for people like me who start another thing before finishing the first, sometimes it's helpful to remember to finish the first thing before starting something else.

No comments: