Saturday, May 24, 2014

Feeling Improved by My Hard Thing

I wrote in the third person yesterday but it didn't feel like me. Maybe third person is good for some things but not my 'Musings' blog. Thanks for going on the journey of discovery with me.

It's raining off and on today and I'm glad because my plants could always use the water! Per is at SAMS Club buying stuff including Memorial Day food. (We're gonna BBQ baby back pork ribs in his no-oil turkey cooker-to see how it goes on Monday, and smoke a salmon in the smoker (yum!) on Sunday. It's a ton of food but it sure will taste good and we don't have to eat all of it! We'll have Per's yummy potato salad and also corn on the cob on Monday and it will truly be a celebration of summer and of remembering veterans!)

Today, I seem to be moving well. I set something in the microwave and turned it on for two minutes. Then I walked over to the fridge and back to the counter, took other things out of the cupboard and drawer, and the microwave still had a minute to go. In the past, the microwave would have beeped before I did those things. Who knows how I'll move tomorrow, but today I'm moving well!

One of the things having MS has taught me is to have more patience. I used to whip through things so fast that I didn't take the time to notice them. Often I'd operate on 'auto-pilot' because my mind was somewhere else. For many years after having MS I would get upset and cry about finding joy in a little thing-like walking down a step. Now, I can see it as a great accomplishment because I tried and because it was the best I could do. But then, it frustrated me.

A lot has changed for me since having MS. I move slowly now whereas in the past I moved fast. No longer can I do many things. But thankfully, five years have gone by that have allowed me time to accept my new reality. Truly, time heals all wounds.

Recently I thought, if I see improvement in a year it will be good. I laughed because there was a time that I thought, how can I endure this for a day? My trial is hard but it has truly improved me.

No comments: