Friday, May 30, 2014

Turning to the Best Source

I believe that at some point everyone pleads "help me" to God. We'd like to think we have life under control and don't need his help, but perhaps when we're all alone or in our mind sometimes we pray to him to help us. We might think we're better than the person who's addiction we can see, but everyone struggles with something. At some point everyone needs their loving Heavenly Father to help them. He helps us but is it recognized?

Yesterday morning a negative thought and feeling reminded me that I'm a failure because I'm not perfect. I felt like crap. I took a shower and still felt bad then certain words to a primary song repeated in my mind: "Through a still small voice the spirit speaks to me...listen, listen to the still small voice". Two voices in my mind. I focused on good things and ended up feeling good. Another thought in my mind said to think only good things. I thought about how from childhood to now the church had been a huge influence in my life and had always been inspiring. Soon I felt good

I believe he helped me but I had the choice of which thought to listen to. (It's like a little devil sat on one of my shoulders and whispered bad things in my ear, and a little angel sat on my other shoulder and whispered good things in my ear but I had to choose which one I'd listen to.)

I truly think that if I don't focus on negative feelings they will go away. (It's like focusing on what I want not what I don't want.) When I'm on my way to overcoming something but then relapse I might think I'm a failure because I gave in; I suck; I can't do it so why even try; I'm weak, and let those negative thoughts become more negative thoughts. I could keep lying to myself and telling myself things that make me feel bad, or I could tell myself the truth and hope for good things like I'm not a failure just because I gave in; I'm not perfect but I'm trying to overcome this and I won't give up; I'm good; I'm strong.

Some things are really hard to overcome but I can do it and I won't quit trying. I know that God helps me - he loves me, he wants the best for me - just like a parent loves their child simply because they exist. I feel sad when I give in to things I'm trying to overcome, but I know that I'm not overcoming it alone because He helps me.

No comments: