Thursday, May 08, 2014

I Love Songs and Music

Music is awesome!
I love the words to songs.  I love compositions, too, even though sometimes they eventually go out of style.  One of my favorite genres of music is choral. I was in choirs for many years and dreamed of one day singing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Now that I no longer sing I look forward to one day singing in the Heavenly Choir. I digress, back to music:

To me, some songs are like prayers. I don't care when the words were written because truth is truth even if it was written a hundred years ago. The music to some older songs may be dated but their words are just as true now as the day they were written.

Words to songs never go out of style
A popular song in the 80's written by an LDS person was sung at many sacrament meetings that were also called "Missionary Farewells". The song called "How Great Shall Be Your Joy" is written by Janice Kapp Perry. There are two parts to this song that are sung separately then they are sung together in harmony then they are followed by some other stuff.

The first part is:
And if it so be that ye should labor all your days
And bring but one soul unto me, how great shall
Be you joy with him in the kingdom of my father.
How great shall be your joy.

The second part is:
My sheep hear my voice and they know me.
And I know them and they follow me.

Those two parts are sung together followed by these words:
After Jesus had risen he came to the sea,
Asking three times of Peter, "Lovest thou me?"
"Yea Lord" he answered, "Thou knowest I love thee",
Then Jesus commanded him "Feed my sheep"

Then the two parts are sung again in another key and solidify my belief in their words.

Some songs generate feelings
The second verse of a certain hymn comes to my mind and causes gratitude and love to swell in my heart. The words are:
I marvel that He would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine.
That He would extend His great love unto such as I
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.
Oh, it is wonderful that He would care for me enough to die for me.
Oh it is wonderful, wonderful to me.

Some words solidify my beliefs
I love these words, written for EFY (Especially For Youth) in the early 90's, because they are just as relevant today:
Now, in this day of darkness, can we see / Evil and suffering ripe on every hand. / Wounded by lies, by loneliness, and fear / With joy we lift our hearts to feel thee near. / Walk with us through the wilderness of life, / Savior, thy life alone can mark the path, / Hush the confusion, still the storm within. / Help us at last the victory to win. / Help us
at last to see the light he gives. / Savior, thy words are written on our hearts, / Gladly we seek the beauty of thy way. / Grieving with those who stumble, lose their way / When wandering the blinding mists of night. / Unlock our understanding as we seek / To lift the soul who stumbles, find the one / Who cries to thee. Oh let our lights burn fair / As we go forth to lift, to bless, to share.

How true today, 21 years later, are those words? How much those words strengthen me and remind me how precious I am and how precious every person is to God. The scriptures say, "The worth of souls is great in the sight of God." I believe it. I feel in my heart that he loves me and believe that he loves and has loved every person who has ever walked on this earth.

Some things help me when I think of them
I think of Jesus as my coach. I imagine this scenario: I'm looking in his direction but darting my head to look at things happening on either side of him. He takes my face in his hands, and causes me to look at him. He says, "Focus." Then he coaches me. He gestures imaginary walls on either side of him and me, then says "Just look at me. We got this. You can do it. I believe in you."

The 23rd Psalm reminds me of this scenario:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures.
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me in the
Path of righteousness for his namesake.

Then it get's personal. When I face something hard it's just him and me:
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.
Thou annointest my head with oil, my cup runneth over.

In happy times it's not so personal. I can stand on my own two feet:
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


My thoughts
I love God and Jesus Christ with all my heart. They have helped, comforted, and sustained me in good times and in bad; I truly believe they will do it all my life. They are loving beings that I want to become like, and I believe that I will someday. The words to songs solidify how I feel. I'm glad that good things exist to help me.

No comments: