Monday, May 05, 2014

Some of My Changes Take Time

How many times have I had an impression to do something, not done it, and looked back and said, "I should have done it." (At those times, immediately the little voice in my head inflicts a bad feeling for not being perfect.)

Then again, how many times have I had an impression to do something, done it, and looked back and said, "I'm glad I did it." (At those times, my heart feels glad.)

I'm an imperfect human. Sometimes I make mistakes then I look back and see where I could have done better. But, rather than dwell on how I am now I choose to dwell on how I can be. I'm happy that I can change and become what doesn't disappoint me. I make mistakes but find hope in the fact that I can become better than I was and not make those mistakes in the future.

Changing doesn't happen over night. I might think of how to improve my life but not dare to do it for a while. (Case in point: I knew five years ago that red meat was bad for me but it took me four more years to give it up. All changes don't take that long, I'm just saying that some changes take time.)

It's one thing to realize something but quite another thing to change. When I realize something, I mill it over in my mind for a while and think about it. If I need to change, I consider the effects before getting up the courage to act. I find comfort in the fact that I can act. I can change, I'm not a tree that is forever rooted and will always be a tree.

No comments: